ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] [gnso-idn-wg] Reviving the GNSO IDN WG

  • To: "Interim ALAC" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] [gnso-idn-wg] Reviving the GNSO IDN WG
  • From: "Hong Xue" <hongxueipr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:36:00 +0800

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Olof Nordling
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:02 AM
To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] Reviving the GNSO IDN WG

Dear all,
At the GNSO Council call 19 October it was decided to re-launch this working
group to address IDN policy issues in relation to new gTLDs. Minutes from
this meeting are not available yet, but there is an MP3 recording at:
http://gnso-audio.icann.org/GNSO-Council-20061019.mp3 .
(For the agenda see: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#oct )

Exactly when a first conference call for the WG can be held would be up to
the chair, Bruce Tonkin, to settle. Tuesday 31 October and Thursday 2
November are two tentative early dates for such a call.

To provide some input for a first call, I have drafted the attached
discussion paper, expanding a little on the more imminent tasks in the Terms
of Reference that were discussed at the Council meeting (the ToR are also
annexed to the discussion paper).

Also, Tina Dam recently alerted me to brand new draft technical documents
that would constitute important background reading in this context, notably:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-idnabis-issues-00.txt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-faltstrom-idnabis-tables-00.txt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alvestrand-idna-bidi-00.txt

Hoping this will be useful to you, I'm looking forward to working closely
with you on these topics in the near future.
Very best regards
Olof