ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] Guide to Domain Names

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] Guide to Domain Names
  • From: "Siavash Shahshahani" <shahshah@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 13:03:31 +0330 (IRST)

As I said before I also believe that an ALAC guide should concentrate on
the basics, explain DNS, different types of domains, and importantly the
rights of the individual domain holder vis-a-vis the registrar, the
registry or the reseller. This should not be a 'how-to' guide, that's the
job of those who sell domains. I have found that the information available
to public about gTLDs vs ccTLDs differs widely in different regions and
misinformation is widespread. I was really surprised to see Sebastian's
tone of urgency about making gTLD info available in Latin America. From
what I know the ccTLDs in Argentina, Brazil and Chile are among the most
successful in the world. If the gTLD business is not as successful in
Latin America, let the gTLDs do a better job of propaganda on their own
behalf; after all competition is their forte. I don't think ALAC should be
used to promote the business of one particular sector.
Siavash