ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Guide to Domain Names

  • To: Sebastian Ricciardi <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Guide to Domain Names
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:06:07 +0100

Sebastian Ricciardi ha scritto:
Please slow down.

I understood this guide was intented to be specific for gTLDs. ALAC
participation was the genesis of this idea. We cannot go backwards and re adapt all the work Miriam has done to include
references about how to register 250 ccTLDs that may have strong differences
in the process. For example, registe a domain name in .ar is free, while
registering a domain name in .jp can be expensive. Some ccTLDs do not have
any kind of Dispute Resolution Policy, while others do, etc.

However, I think that there should be at least an initial introduction explaining that ccTLD domains are as good as gTLD ones, that depending on the country usage and modalities for registration may vary, maybe with figures so that people understand which ccTLDs are in real use, and pointers to information sources at least for the main ones (eg >100K domains registered).

I would not be happy at all by having the ALAC name on anything that might look like (ICANN-paid) advertising for gTLDs over ccTLDs. Apart from any consideration about competition, it would just be misleading for the final user, at least in those parts of the world where ccTLDs are in wide use.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...