ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Call for constituency statements (from: jordyn.buchanan@gmail.com)

  • To: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Call for constituency statements (from: jordyn.buchanan@gmail.com)
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:18:42 -0500 (EST)

the interest of the individual registrant.

Seems to me that first we need to figure out who our constituents are. I think they're individual Internet users, the vast majority of whom have not registered a domain and never will.

From the point of view of the non-registrant majority, the more info WHOIS
contains, the better. ISPs and law enforcement can and do use it, even in its current cruddy form, to track down the bad guys sending vast amounts of phish, spam, etc., most of which keys on a link to an email address or URL containing a domain in order to collect the response from the victim.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor