ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[allocation-framework]

Re: In Support of dotMobi's proposal for the Allocation of SC SLD's via RFP

  • To: allocation-framework@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: In Support of dotMobi's proposal for the Allocation of SC SLD's via RFP
  • From: "Charles Mok" <charlespmok@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:08:14 +0800

I am on the dotMobi Policy Advisory Board and I also support dotMobi's
proposal for allocating single character second level .mobi via RFP.

The RFP process is fair and more beneficial to the whole community, in
coming with the best plan for developing these domains which are in
shortest, limited supply.  An auction would not be a good approach as most
likely these will fall into the hands of those who are not actually using
them, and those who would have the best ideas especially community-based
campaigns that will be most useful in promoting the whole community for
.mobi will not be possible, as they will likely not be able to compete in an
auction.  Being in Asia myself, I have seen the similar "pioneer" process of
DotAsia which is also working for .asia to similar effects.

Of course, the RFP framework must be made open and transparent and fair to
all, but this is still possible, and better than an auction only process
with the obvious flaws of the latter system.

Thanks and regards,
Charles Mok
Chairman, Internet Society Hong Kong
Member, dotMobi Policy Advisory Board