ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[allocation-framework]

Allocating single letter domains in .MOBI

  • To: allocation-framework@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Allocating single letter domains in .MOBI
  • From: "John Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 2 Jul 2008 23:38:24 -0400

I am a member of the dotMobi Policy Advisory Board, as well as a former member of the ICANN ALAC and a co-author of the newly published "Mobile Internet for Dummies".

Single letter domains are a particularly important resource for .MOBI, because of the constrained user environment on mobile devices. Short names are both memorable and easy to enter on a phone's tiny keyboard. It is important to allocate this important resource to entities that will provide diverse and useful services to mobile users, rather than to speculators as would likely happen were the names to be auctioned or issued first-come-first-served.

Hence I endorse the plan to allocate single letter domains via an RFP process. Prior RFPs have resulted in highly usable sites such as weather.mobi, so we can anticipate similar success for the one-letter RFP process.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx