ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: GNSO Chair, Vice-Chair - RE: [bc-gnso] GNSO Council chair elections/discussion within the BC on chair and vice chair

  • To: Zahid Jamil <zahid@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: GNSO Chair, Vice-Chair - RE: [bc-gnso] GNSO Council chair elections/discussion within the BC on chair and vice chair
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:16:15 -0400

thanks, Zahid, for sharing this level of detail the BC members.
It is very important for the BC membership to be involved in giving guidance to
its elected councilors or officers -- whichever the role, and when we omit that
step, we shortchange the importance of the issues for both the membership,and
for those who have the burden, and honor of representing the interests of the
electorate.
Thus, it is good that we have this level of detail before us, as BC members.
First, since I know all three candidates for Policy Council Chair, and have
some relevant experience in being a councilor, as well as working on task
forces/now called working groups, I offer the following thoughts to my fellow
BC'ers.
We are facing a new 'regime' of many changes, including new players in the non
commercial users side of the house, and of course the other changes associated
with having 'houses'. We are making major changes in the PDP process, in
establishing working groups, and in realigning, ourselves, into a  more
distributed structure of participation, representation,and decision making. We
are also under criticism, in case any of our members are not aware of it, by
the non commercial users, who have recruited hundreds of groups, and who are
highly critical of the lack of membership and participation by a broader more
distributed group of businesses.... This last item is a true vulnerability, and
extends to the ISPs as well as our own business user community. In short, we
have much work to do within the BC, as well as much at risk in the Policy
Council, and much at issue in how we actually broaden and deepen business
participation.
I recommend that the BC elected councilors support Chuck Gomes.
Let me explain why. Chuck has the broadest depth and expertise within the
Policy process. He has demonstrated his even handness; ability to work in a
productive and neutral fashion, and to respect the importance of inclusion in
the processes.  This is a critical time when building processes, and 'testing
them' and improving them really 'on the fly' will be the work of the next year
or two for the GNSO Policy Council.
I understand that there may be 'deals' that some are thinking are possible,
where the vice chairs would balance any limitations of a chair. That isn't a
good strategy.  The Chair needs to be capable, and experienced.
As to whether it is a good idea for a BC councilor to take a Vice Chair role --
I  need to be convinced of that.
There are only two BC councilors, and there is a LOT of work to be done, in
representing the interests of the BC within the Policy Council.
I can be convinced that Zahid would indeed be a great vice chair candidate, but
I haven't seen the justification of this proposal for a BC councilor to be a
vice chair... laid out for the BC. Again, I am open to supporting Zahid as a
vice chair -- but I haven't seen the arguments and benefits and risks or the
negatives aspects described for us, as the BC members, who need to provide
input and guidance before any such negotiations take place.
One thing that I think we need to be clear on and that is that the BC
councilors need the support of the BC, before there is any outreach or
discussion with others. So, we need to address this asap.
I am sure that the elected councilors or past councilors would not be proposing
or negotiating without having the needed discussions with the BC membership, so
I welcome this opportunity to have this discussion.
I would actually propose that this kind of discussion deserves a conference
call with the BC members -- not only an email discussion.  While time is
limited, perhaps we could have an urgent call to discuss this.
I can understand that some may think that the worse approach would be to have a
registry chair, a vice chair from the contracted party house, and a vice chair
from the non commercial users side -- it all depends, What is the role of the
vice chairs? How do we replace the work of the elected councilor while they are
devoting additional time to being a vice chair? There is a lot to discuss here.
I would have preferred that we started earlier -- but at least, now we know
that there is an urgency to address this.
Marilyn Cade