ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] BC charter

  • To: "BC gnso" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] BC charter
  • From: "BC Secretariat" <secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:20:32 +0200

Posted on behalf of the Officers

Dear Marilyn
sorry to hear about your health issue  and thank you for the time taken to
propose new changes to the BC charter.

Many of these require substantial member discussion and raise issues that we
intentionally did not raise in the proposed text that the BC has been
discussing for 7 months.

For example, changes to member fee categories are intended to be part of the
work of the new finance committee, balancing the impact of any change with
the budget and call for fees. Additionally, the impact of any future merger
with the ISP or IPC needs substantial debate. Today the IPC only allows
votes for associations - is that the model we want to adopt for the BC ? Do
they want us ? The ISP tell us no. There is no need to limit election dates
given the unknown for changes. The BC can at any time vote for a new charter
or CSG merger should that happen and at that point cut the term of previous
elections.

The present v16 of the charter submitted for member consideration last week:
- is based on the current charter
- factors in the staff considerations
- factors in broad member input over the last 7 months
- reverts the review section to the current charter (more or less) but with
better due process.

It would be more constructive to hear if there are any substantive parts of
v16 with which members are still concerned , such as the recent comment from
Ayesha Hassan of ICC.

We need to proceed with a vote with due speed, in order to hold elections.

BC Officers