ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] BC charter

  • To: BC gnso <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] BC charter
  • From: George Kirikos <icann@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:48:09 -0400

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:20 AM, BC Secretariat wrote:
> It would be more constructive to hear if there are any substantive parts of
> v16 with which members are still concerned , such as the recent comment from
> Ayesha Hassan of ICC.

Contrary to what you've suggested, there are 2 solid alternative
charters that have been proposed, which *are* constructive input into
the process. Marilyn's charter is explicitly based on the existing
charter. The charter I posted was based on the CityTLD charter, which
itself was based on the ICANN Staff "Model" charter

> We need to proceed with a vote with due speed, in order to hold elections.

Under your approach, we've spent 7 months choosing between chicken,
chicken with salad, chicken with pasta, spicy chicken, garlic chicken,
and fried chicken. The ingredients are all the same, yet that's the
only choice you imagine exists. Perhaps some of us strongly prefer
fish or beef, and one shouldn't pretend that those options are not on
the table for the constituency to comment and vote upon.

If one wanted to be constructive, one would stop suggesting we can
only have chicken dinners as we've had for the past 6 or 7 years. Tell
us what you would like to change in the fish or beef menus that have
been presented as alternatives.

So far only the officers have presented negative views of Marilyn or
my own draft charter. If that's the only opposition, i.e. those
defending their own charter which is in its *16th* iteration, I would
consider that very minor opposition, since those officers got it wrong
at least 15 times previously. That input in hardly credible.

I encourage people to read Marilyn's alternative charter and my own
(based on the CityTLD charter):

http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00564.html
http://forum.icann.org/lists/bc-gnso/msg00544.html

Perhaps those who have read all three can give a preference ranking
for continuing discussion. For myself, that ranking is:

1. George's CityTLD-based charter ("Beef")
2. Marilyn's staff-based minimal mark-up charter ("Salmon")
3. Forget about charters, and merge with the IP+ISP ("Lobster")
4. Officers' 16th revised charter ("Chicken")

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269
http://www.leap.com/