ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] BC charter v19

  • To: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, "bc - GNSO list" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] BC charter v19
  • From: "Deutsch, Sarah B" <sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:42:52 -0400

I concur that the idea of a one year term should be given serious
consideration.  The IPC has followed this model and it works well.

I see that the overly broad "solidarity" language still remains in the
draft.  Despite suggestions to try to figure how how more accurately the
language to situations where members are speaking publicly to the ICANN
community, the language remains unchanged.   As Marilyn notes correctly
below, instead of drafting solidarity language that actually explains
what the problem is and how to implement it in a narrow manner, the
draft goes in the opposite direction by allowing executive committee
members a carve out from BC positions when they speak in their personal
capacity.  If anyone has an obligation to adhere to the "solidarity"
principle without the opportunity to give mixed messages publicly or
privately, it should be executive committee members.

Finally, I note that the troubling privacy language remains in the draft
unchanged.  No one has answered the fundamental question of whether
ordinary BC members will be gaining access to personally identifiable or
sensitive personal information (and what information that is) and how
ordinary BC members are allegedly "processing" such information. Other
BC members can weigh in, but we do not want to have any access to
sensitive personal information as part of our BC membership.  As
mentioned earlier, requiring compliance with "prevailing privacy laws"
is meaningless since such laws differ signficantly depending on
jurisdiction.  At a minimum ONLY the Secretariat and Exec Committee
Members should be subject to this language assuming they may have access
to sensitive personal information.

Sarah

Sarah B. Deutsch
Vice President & Associate General Counsel
Verizon Communications
Phone: 703-351-3044
Fax: 703-351-3670
sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx