ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Registry/Registrar Separation

  • To: "'BC gnso'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Registry/Registrar Separation
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:37:48 +0900

(for those of you not here in Seoul)
Below is what I said (not on behalf of BC) today at the Public Forum,
regarding Rr/Ry separation.

I Listened to debate over separation. inconclusive (both sides passionate
and articulate)
> But I did learn about motivations for Registrars wanting to run Registries
>
> I learned about innovative methods for monetizing premium names.

What I learned tells me ICANN should reset public expectations about
benefits of new TLDs.
> Let¹s start being more transparent about the way names will and won¹t be
> available to the public.
>
> Let¹s limit disappointment when TLDs launch.
>
> And let¹s make it less likely that the review team on Competition , Consumer
> Trust, and Choice will give ICANN a failing grade.

For years, the Rhetoric of expectations has been:  we need new TLDs to give
registrants all those ³good names that are unavailable in current TLDs.
That¹s the rhetoric.  What¹s the reality?
> Reality 1: new gTLD applicants will maximize profits on premium names, whether
> by selling them at diff prices, or by having an affiliate park the domain with
> advertising.  That name is never going be available to a registrant that wants
> to use it for content or commerce.
>
> Reality 2: will see Innovative ways to identify and control premium names at
> launch, and then afterwards, when words and phrases suddenly acquire premium
> value ( h1n1.whatever)

There¹s Nothing illegal about that, and new Ry contracts allow uncapped and
variable premium pricing.  And you don¹t have to own a registrar to monetize
your names ­ I¹ve been educated about that.

But let¹s stop kidding ourselves and the internet public about how new TLDs
will let ordinary people register names they want but can¹t get today.

--
Steve DelBianco
Executive Director