ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

Re: [bc-gnso] NetChoice comment on IANA

  • To: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bc-GNSO@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-GNSO@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [bc-gnso] NetChoice comment on IANA
  • From: Mike Roberts <mmr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 07:54:47 -0700

Steve -

I think this is a misinterpretation of the ICANN letter. What I read says to replace the contract with a cooperative agreement.

This is a good idea and the BC should support. It is entirely consistent with regular reviews, ATRT, etc.

The "evil" procurement style contract was foisted on a very unwilling ICANN CEO and Board in late 98 by DOD/NTIA lawyers covering their backs. As ICANN says, it makes no sense. This is not a procurement situation, it is basically a public service/public trust effort, which a cooperative agreement is designed to support.

- Mike