ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

As a registrar I object to the removal of caps

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: As a registrar I object to the removal of caps
  • From: jchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:39:35 -0700 (PDT)

The registries are single source monopolies with regard to the names.

I believe the .tv model is opportunistic but does not allow the registry to arbitrarily raise rates even with a 6 month grace period. I would still be opposed to this model but the uncapped model on the table is abhorant. Here are some real world examples:

1) It would be like someone was in a fixed rate mortgage for their house and suddenly their bank raised the rates, telling them they could prepay if they want. And they are the only bank in the world.

2) People have spent many $$$ building up their virtual properties, is google.com now worth $1 Billion dollars? Well to the registry it might now be.

3) It violates the neutrality of the registry, if they can price it based on popularity can groups ban names? They are no longer really acting as a "common carrier" but a tier provider.

Jay Chan
Nameking Registrar Admin