ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

NEWSFLASH: ICANN Killed the Internet!

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: NEWSFLASH: ICANN Killed the Internet!
  • From: Rob Teeple <mgi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:44:56 -0400

-- A telephone conversation sometime in the near future --

Hi Mom...how are you?

Oh, I'm okay I guess. I was wondering, would it be okay if I moved home for
a few weeks? You see, I was layed off yesterday...

No Mom, I didn't get fired. The business had to close because they couldn't
afford to pay for their name on the Internet. A couple of months ago, some
company named ICAN or IKAN or something like that ...

No, Mom, you are thinking of IKEA...they're the ones who sell furniture.

Yeah, this is the company that's been killing the Internet. You've probably
heard about it on Oprah. Anyway, they said our owners had to pay $100,000
for their name. They couldn't come up with the money, so...

Huh? Extortion? No, I think if it was extortion the FBI would nail the
bastards...

Sorry Mom, didn't mean to cuss. It's just that this makes me really mad.
They're supposed to be some non-profit corporation that helps make the
Internet successful, but lately all I been hearing is how they are putting
lots of companies out of business...

I don't know, Mom...maybe? You think it sounds like some of them are taking
bribes or own stock in some of those richy-rich companies that are making
all the money?...

Sure sounds like it to me too, Mom. I mean, how can they steal our company's
name like that? We've had it for years and the company has been making money
and now they say because the company is making money they can charge these
big bucks...isn't a company supposed to be successful?...

Yeah, Mom...I know I can always go to work with Dad at the mill. I'll
probably have to do that now. I know it's a sin, Mom, but I hate this IKAN.

I love you too, Mom.

:::CLICK:::

So, ICANN, is that how it's gonna' be? Ironic how the U.S. Government, with
all of its flaws and screw-ups, can manage to put in place an anti-trust law
in 1890, and here we are 116 years later with ICANN ready to commit the
biggest blunder in the history of the civilized business world.

Internet business and success helps many, many people because of the
intertwining of ecommerce. How will this help anyone, except perhaps a
registry? I don't care if Google pays the same $8 a year for their domain
name as I do. This is not leveling any playing field...it's outright
EXTORTION.

ICANN's new motto: The good of the one outweighs the good of the many.

Robert Teeple

Forego Systems, Inc.
www.foregosystems.com