ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Opposing the proposed changes

  • To: org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposing the proposed changes
  • From: Andrew peacock <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:18:00 +0100

I guess I'm amongst the MANY who oppose the new proposed variable pricing structure. I have spent years building some of my sites to be key resources serving their respective markets, and to have that taken away because I can no longer afford to renew the domain is unjust and immoral.

Not only would this affect my ability to generate the income that we all need, it would also do a major dis-service to my customers and general visitors. Years of experience in the particular fields would be lost, as I would not put the same content up elsewhere on a new domain - what's the point if I'm just going to be faced with a huge bill again when that new domain comes up for renewal.

Whilst this may be a solution to "provide for presumptive renewal, absent material and repeated breach of the agreement by the registry operator", it won't punish the operator - it will only punish the business people who have worked hard to establish a business. If the registry operators need punishing, why not bring a new act which forces misbehaving operators to hand over the relevant domains to another registrar who is biding by the agreements. Punish the transgressor, reward the decent operators, don't punish the poor man in the equation.

Regards,
Andy Peacock