ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Opposed to variable pricing

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed to variable pricing
  • From: Isaac Force <gorgonous@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:39:11 -0700

To whom it concerns,

I am writing to express my sincere opposition to the proposed changes to lift price control on registry services. This undermines the underlying nature of the internet: big or small, every business and individual has an equal chance to make their services available to anybody with access to the network.

For example, if my personal website suddenly gains a readership, its domain name could be considered valuable internet real estate; however, as an individual, I would not be able to afford a price hike from my registrar if they decided to charge me its "market value" and renewal. Who is to say what the market value of any given domain is? Who will police these decisions? Who will ensure that a large company cannot pressure a registrar in to hiking up the price of a small but competing company's domain?

Variable pricing doesn't belong in the domain name registry service space. As stated before, it will undermine the nature of the internet, period.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Isaac Force