ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Variable pricing at odds with non-profit corporation?

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Variable pricing at odds with non-profit corporation?
  • From: Jim Berg <jeb@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:20:20 -0400

Dear Sirs: <br><br>
Thank you for accepting comments on the proposed changes to your
agreement.&nbsp; My prime concern is the variable pricing model<br>
shown in the sample agreement.<br><br>
According to your website:<br><br>
<i>The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is an
internationally organized, non-profit corporation that has responsibility
for Internet Protocol (IP) address space allocation, protocol identifier
assignment, generic (gTLD) and country code (ccTLD) Top-Level Domain name
system management, and root server system management functions. These
services were originally performed under U.S. Government contract by the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) and other entities. ICANN now
performs the IANA function.<br><br>
As a private-public partnership, ICANN is dedicated to preserving the
operational stability of the Internet; to promoting competition; to
achieving broad representation of global Internet communities; and to
developing policy appropriate to its mission through bottom-up,
consensus-based processes.<br><br>
</i>My concern is that the variable pricing sample agreement shows
increased costs each year.&nbsp; Why aren't costs decreasing?&nbsp;
Each<br>
year there are more registrations giving you a larger revenue base.&nbsp;
accumulating surplus funds.<br><br>
</b>My feeling is that the increasing costs resulting from the variable
pricing model may lead to uncertainty among website owners which <br>
leads to instability and less competition.&nbsp; These results would be
contrary to your stated mission.<br><br>
In conclusion, I am against the variable pricing model as shown in the
sample agreement.<br><br>
Yours truly,<br><br>
Jim Berg<br><br>