ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ccnso-idncctld]

[ccnso-idncctld] RE: Draft Final Report

  • To: "'zhangjian'" <zhangjian@xxxxxxxx>, <ccnso-idncctld@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ccnso-idncctld] RE: Draft Final Report
  • From: "Chris Disspain" <ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:17:35 +1000 (EST)

Jian,

I am still working on a response to your previous email and will get that
to you later today. Meanwhile, re your comments below, could you provide
an example please?

Cheers,

Chris Disspain
CEO - auDA
Australia's Domain Name Administrator
ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.auda.org.au

Important Notice - This email may contain information which is
confidential and/or subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the
use of the named addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not use, disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have
received this email by mistake, please notify the sender and delete this
message immediately. Please consider the environment before printing this
email.

org] On Behalf Of zhangjian
> Sent: Tuesday, 10 June 2008 02:03
> To: 'Manal Ismail'; 'Edmon Chung'; ccnso-idncctld@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [ccnso-idncctld] 答复: [ccnso-idncctld] RE: [ccnso-idncctld]
RE: [ccnso-idncctld] RE: [ccnso-idncctld] ??:
> [ccnso-idncctld] ??: [ccnso-idncctld] Draft Final Report
>

> Dear all:
> About point 1, I truly agree that ICANN should not be involved with a
> problem within a country/territory, neither should ICANN be involved
with
> such issue between countries/territories. I also agree, that such issue
if
> not resolved between the concerned counties, won't fit within the fast
> track. Further more, we know there are potential disputes may raise
between
> territories. However, in the current fast-track procedure, there is no
> mechanism that built in to identify such disputes or objections from
other
> country/territory. thus, I'd like to propose an objection procedure that
> opens only to country/territory.
>
> Best regards
> Jian

etc

> I don't agree to the alternative wording of Point E, stating:
>
> The proposed string and delegation request should be non-contentious
>
> I think this wording makes the requirement vague and intangible .. In
fact
> it makes the proposed string and delegation request, even if
non-contentious
> within a specific territory, subject to objections from anyone around
the
> globe, which contradicts with the GAC principles  ..
>
> This has to do again with the objection procedure which I don't see
needed,
> specifically within a fast track approach
>

> I think submissions within the fast track, following the fast track
> requirements, would be straight forward choices of country names else
they
> won't fit within the fast track .. Can simple choices of country names
cause
> any problems (apart from technical problems) ?  I see 2 cases here, I'm
sure
> this doesn't exhaustively cover all probabilities but at least those are
> specific cases that were raised during the discussions:
>

> 1.    either the selected string, directly relating to the country name,
> is common in names of more than one country .. and here I don't think
ICANN
> should be the entity deciding on such an issue .. ICANN, rightly, does
not
> get involved in problems within a territory and definitely should not
get
> involved in such problems between countries .. Additionally, by
definition
> such a case, if not resolved between the concerned counties, won't fit
> within the fast track ..
> 2.
> 3.    or the selected string, directly relating to the country name, is
> generic name .. and this should be accepted if the words comprising the
name
> of the country are all generic and do not include a 'specific' word that
can
> relate to the country name i.e. any selection would still be a generic
word
> ..
>
> On the other hand I personally don't mind the existence of a linguistic
> committee from the point of string interpretation and confirmation and
not
> choice evaluation .. meaning that I can see the need for a few experts
who
> should be able to help or able to seek help simply to interpret what's
being
> submitted to the ICANN (the string, it's meaning, it's language, ....)
..

> ------------------------------
>

> ________________________________

While
> I agree that the proposed mechanism should be simple, the "report" of
our
> deliberations should not be omitted.
>
> [Chris Disspain] You are correct. It is not the purpose of this report
> report on how we came to make recommendations. The purpose of the report
is
> to recommend a methodology to the Board if we are able. Those interested
in
> our 'deliberations' are welcome to listen to the recordings.
>

> More specifically, I believe we need to provide rationale on how we came
> these conclusions.
>
> [Chris Disspain] Well, I think the report actually does that. However,
if
> you would like to suggest something please feel free to do so.
>

> Edmon

Draft
> Final Report
>

> Chris:
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> Regards
>
> Jian
>

> ________________________________
>
> ???: Chris Disspain [mailto:ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx]
> ????: 2008?6?6? 11:41
> ???: 'zhangjian'; 'Bart Boswinkel'; ccnso-idncctld@xxxxxxxxx
> ??: RE: [ccnso-idncctld] ??: [ccnso-idncctld] Draft Final Report
>

> Jian,
>

> I have asked Bart to draft a response to this which we will send out
asap
> over the weekend. There are several issues that you raise which we will
need
> to responds to.
>

> Thanks for your input.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Chris Disspain
>
> CEO - auDA
>
> Australia's Domain Name Administrator
>
> ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> www.auda.org.au <http://www.auda.org.au/>
>

> Important Notice - This email may contain information which is
confidential
> and/or subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the
named
> addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
> disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email
by
> mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.

IDNC