ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[com-renewal]

Competition and pricing

  • To: com-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Competition and pricing
  • From: Danny Pryor - Rodan Media <dtp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:58:41 -0400

While Verisign has deftly managed the registries under their aegis, permitting
a renewal of their contract without a competitive bidding process is an
improper course.

Further, it is incumbent upon ICANN to ascertain the whether there is a gulf
between profitability and profiteering. Verisign has no apparent reason to
raise prices on domain name registrations when its current profit margins are,
for eight of the past 10 quarters, are very healthy. Cleary, Verisign is
enjoying a satisfactory margin.

While there may be unexpected costs associated with managing registries in the
future, I would challenge ICANN to justify why a 7% increase in four of the
next six years would be permissible. Is it expected ICANN may grant similar
flexibility to other registries, when their contracts reach their term for
renewal? If not, why permit this clause?

We understand there have been times, during the past 11 years, when Verisign
has suffered major declines in profit margins, but are those directly tied to
managing the registries under their control or are other factors at work. The
most recent, significant declines appear to have happened in the fourth quarter
2007 and the second and third quarters of 2008. However, I would challenge any
company to present sound fiscal data from those time periods, regardless of
their industry.

To be succinct, the lack of competitive bidding and the wide latitude in
pricing granted Verisign could be construed as a violation of the trust between
ICANN, the business community and the people trusting ICANN to represent the
interests of fairness and accountability.

Your consideration of the foregoing is appreciated.

Danny Pryor
Vice-President
Rodan Media Group

www.rodanmedia.net