ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

Domain Registration - .security

  • To: "comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Domain Registration - .security
  • From: "Bowlby, Bruce CCS" <Bruce.Bowlby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 15:35:25 +0000

Good morning,

Chubb Edwards is a leader in the Canadian electronic security and life safety
market with an international history that dates back to 1818.  We have become
aware of the plan to introduce new web extensions and wanted to share our
reservations with you.

We believe that "closed generic" domains should not be permitted." The internet
should be open and not subject to exclusivity as would be the case if Symantec
were to be granted sole rights to the ".security" extension.  Security is a
generic term and should not be associated with an individual entity to ensure a
fair competitive environment.

As such, we feel that a closed generic application for ".security" is
anticompetitive and we request that ICANN require applicants for closed generic
TLDs to either open the TLD or withdraw their application.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bruce Bowlby

Bruce Bowlby
Marketing Manager
Chubb Edwards
Tel 905-206-8444  Fax 905-206-8430
bruce.bowlby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bbowlby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
www.chubbedwards.com<http://www.chubbedwards.com>

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information of UTC
Climate, Controls & Security and its affiliated companies.  If you are not the
intended recipient please 1) do not disclose, copy, distribute or use this
information, 2) advise the sender by return e-mail and 3) delete all copies
from your computer.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and
not necessarily of UTC Climate, Controls & Security.  Neither the sending
company nor its group of companies accepts any liability whatsoever for any
loss or damage which may be caused as a result of the transmission of this
message by e-mail.