ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-com-amendment-30jun16]

Decentralize the registry/monopoly

  • To: "comments-com-amendment-30jun16@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-com-amendment-30jun16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Decentralize the registry/monopoly
  • From: Sandeep G <sandeep955@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 18:28:50 +0000

Why are we proposing granting Verisign rights to maintain the registry for
eight more years when we should be talking about building a more stable and
cost effective Internet?

Right now we have one company that is responsible for maintaining the .com
namespace, when it was not this company that originally created domain names
nor the .com namespace in general.  This one company is making billions of
dollars off of the Internet community for having a sweetheart deal with ICANN
for running the .com namespace.

I challenge ICANN to think bigger and better.  In today's digital age we have
decentralized technologies that work extremely well.  Take cryptocurrency as an
example.  There is no central database managed by any one person or company --
yet it is a fully functional currency that can be used worldwide and is growing
in adoption.  We do not have to look to any one company to get a specific
record or do a lookup on funds, and the world works perfectly with this free
service.

Why is the registration of a domain name sourced to one behemoth for-profit
organization?  Maintaining domain names is essentially the maintenance of a
single record per domain name.   I challenge ICANN to dream big and be bold.  I
challenge ICANN to decentralize the Internet as ICANN moves towards global
independence.  I challenge ICANN to rethink domain names from the ground up,
and to envision a world where we don't need one company to manage a domain name
registration.  This should be a decentralized database.  And all you need to do
is look no further than cryptocurrency to see that the concept exists, and that
it works extremely well.

Let's evolve as the digital world around us grows into something bigger.  The
proposed contract is giving one company $8 billion in free revenues???  When
the entire system can be distributed and built to outlast that of one
for-profit company.   Let's make the Internet bigger.  Better.  And more
scalable.

Just because the system is built one way today surely does not mean we can't
innovate and make the Internet a better place for everyone worldwide!

Why is ICANN not looking out for the Internet community as a whole, and instead
continuing to push for Verisign's best interest?