ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-draft-rzerc-charter-10jun16]

CNNIC's Comments on the RZERC Charter

  • To: comments-draft-rzerc-charter-10jun16 <comments-draft-rzerc-charter-10jun16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: CNNIC's Comments on the RZERC Charter
  • From: 刘昱(Yu LIU) <liuyu01@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 14:39:32 +0800

On behalf of China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC), hereby we would
like to take this opportunity to provide our comments on the Root Zone
Evolution Review Committee (RZERC) Charter. Our comments focus on three
Sections: “Composition”, “Decisions” and “Review”.
1.      Composition
We consider the method for selecting Committee Members from 9 different
communities is very applicable, since the Root Zone management is not a sole
responsibility for technical community, but a collective one for whole
communities. However, we believe that most changes of the Root Zone would bring
more direct influences to the Domain Name Registration Agencies than to the
other communities, and both GNSO and ccNSO are large-scale communities with
complex structures. Therefore, we suggest that the GNSO and the ccNSO could be
allowed to appoint more than 1 representative while keeping other conditions
unchanged.
Furthermore, the principle of regional diversity is not demonstrated in this
Section. We expect a clarification in the revised Charter.
2.      Decisions
Compare to the Charters of other Working Groups, Committees, and Councils, we
consider the RZERC Charter lacks specification about the decision mechanism.
Therefore, we suggest that more details could be added in the revised Charter,
such as “A vote on a significant issue shall be guaranteed by the presence of
2/3 or at least half of the Committee Members”.
3.      Review
A relatively high-frequency of job rotation is vital to ICANN’s development,
and most of ICANN’s issues have trends toward innovation and diversification.
In order to create better conditions for all the communities to review the Root
Zone operation, we consider a 5-year review period for the Charter is too long,
and we believe that a 2-year or 3-year one is more proper for implementing the
principle of transparency and improving review efficiency.

[About CNNIC]
China Internet Network Information Center (abbreviated as CNNIC) is an
administration and service organization set up on June 3, 1997 upon the
approval of the competent authority and undertakes the responsibilities as the
national Internet network information center. In light of the policies of
"providing efficient and application oriented services through secure & stable
Internet infrastructure for public interests”, CNNIC, as leading actor in
Chinese information society, is responsible for operation, administration and
services of fundamental Internet resources, undertakes R&D and security work of
fundamental Internet resources, conducts research on Internet development and
internet governance, and promotes the cooperation and technological exchange of
global Internet. A global platform for internet governance research called
internet governance research center (IGR) has also been founded by CNNIC.

Lincoln Liu

Department of International Affairs, CNNIC
Tel: +8610-58813421
Floor 1, Building 1, Software Park, Chinese Academy of Sciences,
4 South 4th Street, Zhongguancun, Beijing