ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-igo-ingo-crp-prelim-10mar14]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Strongly opposed to UDRP/URS changes that would affect due process rights of registrants

  • To: "comments-igo-ingo-crp-prelim-10mar14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-igo-ingo-crp-prelim-10mar14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Strongly opposed to UDRP/URS changes that would affect due process rights of registrants
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 04:27:38 -0700 (PDT)

Submitted by: George Kirikos
Company: Leap of Faith Financial Services Inc.
Website: http://www.leap.com/
Date: March 11, 2014

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the Preliminary Issue Report on
Access by IGOs and INGOs to the Curative Rights Protections of the UDRP and URS:

http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/igo-ingo-crp-prelim-10mar14-en.htm

We strongly oppose any changes that would affect the due process rights of
domain name registrants, in particular their ability to seek recourse in their
own national courts.

As pointed out in prior comments during the earlier working group, Article 6ter
is misunderstood:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-igo-ingo-final-20sep13/msg00015.html

John Berryhill wrote an excellent analysis of Article 6ter of the Paris
Convention, see comment #4 of the CircleID article linked at:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/710118_short_domain_names_igo_udrp/

"It is long past time to put to bed the downright intellectual dishonesty
involved in citing Article 6ter of the Paris Convention as prohibiting the
registration of domain names of any kind. FIRST - The treaty is binding on the
governments which are signatory to the treaty.  The treaty is not binding upon
ICANN.  The treaty is not binding on any registry. SECOND - The treaty requires
governments to refuse to register as trademarks or permit use as trademarks,
the names or initials of IGO's. We are not talking about trademarks, we are
talking about domain names.  There is nothing - utterly nothing - in this
treaty that relates to a requirement  binding upon ICANN or a domain name
registry to refuse to permit the registration of internet domain names of any
kind. Sorry, if the acronym of my organization is GFY, then I can use GFY as a
domain name for my organization.  That is a situation that has nothing to do
with whether I am using GFY
 as a trademark - as I might not even be using the acronym as a trademark. Do
we require the New York Stock Exchange or the NASDAQ to refuse to issue stock
ticker symbols which are IGO's?  No, we don't.  Should a public
corporation be allowed to register its stock ticker symbol as a domain name,
even if that symbol corresponds to the initials of an IGO?  I cannot for the
life of me imagine why they should not. This notion concerning Article 6ter is
sheer stupidity.  For those who know better, it goes well beyond stupidity, and
straight into the realm of outright dishonesty."

Well said. There are already existing laws in place should the UN want to
compel the New York Stock Exchange to stop giving out the stock symbol "UN" to
Unilever", for example:

https://www.google.com/finance?q=UN

A treaty that is only binding on *governments* that are signatories means that
those governments have standing to assert any special rights in their relevant
courts. For example, a treaty between Afghanistan and Sri Lanka doesn't affect
the citizens of the United States or Canada. If Afghanistan and Sri Lanka
create an IGO with the initials "AA", it doesn't mean that the current
registrant of AA.com (American Airlines, based in the USA) is affected in any
way whatsoever!

Let's suppose I open a restaurant in Toronto or New York City, and place a sign
on it of "UNESCO" or "WIPO." How would those organizations which claim
"immunity" handle that apparent trademark law situation? Presumably, the law
*already* handles this situation, and we need not invent new law via ICANN in
order to handle the comparable situation for domain names. Conceivably, the
Government of Canada or the Government of the USA would take the matter to its
relevant courts, rather than the IGO/INGO being the complainant --- that should
be the *exact* same situation for domain names. Governments (if they're
required to enforce a treaty) *certainly* are not immune to the courts in their
own countries!

Furthermore, IGO/INGO organizations *already* waive their claims to immunity on
a regular basis. Consider the UN.org and WIPO.org domain names, registered to
the United Nations and WIPO respectively. According to the latest WHOIS:

https://whois.domaintools.com/un.org
https://whois.domaintools.com/wipo.org
these domain names are registered at Network Solutions. The Network Solutions
service agreement plainly states that:

http://www.networksolutions.com/legal/static-service-agreement.jsp

"21. GOVERNING LAW.a. Except as otherwise set forth in the UDRP or any similar
ccTLD policy with respect to any dispute over a domain name registration, this
Agreement, your rights and obligations and all actions contemplated by this
Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the United States of America and the
State of Florida, without regard to conflict of laws principles, as if the
Agreement was a contract wholly entered into and wholly performed within Duval
County in the State of Florida.
b. Except as otherwise set forth in the UDRP or any similar ccTLD policy with
respect to any dispute over a domain name registration, any judicial proceeding
relating to or arising out of this Agreement or the Services shall be
instituted only in a federal or state court of competent jurisdiction in Duval
County in the State of Florida, and you consent to the personal jurisdiction of
such court and waive the right to challenge the jurisdiction of such court on
grounds of lack of personal jurisdiction or forum non conveniens or to
otherwise seek a change of venue. You also agree to waive the right to trial by
jury in any action that takes place relating to or arising out of this
Agreement or the Services.
c. Notwithstanding the forgoing, for the adjudication of third party disputes
(i.e., disputes between yourself and another party, not Network Solutions)
concerning or arising from use of domain names registered hereunder, you
acknowledge and agree that you shall submit, without prejudice to other
potentially applicable jurisdictions, to the jurisdiction of the courts (i) of
the domain name holder's domicile, and (ii) where Register.com's principal
place of business is located, currently Jacksonville, Florida.
d. The application of the United Nations Convention of Contracts for the
International Sale of Goods is expressly excluded."

In other words, United Nations and WIPO (and other IGOs/INGOs) *already* agree
to the jurisdiction of various countries/states through their own domain name
registrations! Indeed, the RAA requires registrars to ensure that WIPO/UN and
other IGO registrants submit to courts of competent jurisdiction if someone
else asserts a claim *against* them.

I do not see IGOs/INGOs asking the RAA or their registrar service agreements be
amended in order to grant them some claimed/vague immunity from the court
system of relevant nations.

In other words, as things stand now, IGOs/INGOs are trying to claim "special
rights" only when it comes to the UDRP/URS when *they* are the complainant
(i.e. disputes they wish to initiate).

However, one needs to take a step back, and see whether in fact the same
arguments they're making apply to **their own** domain name registrations (i.e.
if they do not agree to the jurisdiction of the Court of Florida, for example,
in relation to the NSI Services Agreement, then their domain names should be
cancelled, and they should be refused the ability to register those domain
names in the first place, let alone assert claims against others that would
transfer the domain names to them, resulting in a registration for that domain
name that they would not accept! (i.e. if they won a claim for the domain name
"EXAMPLE.COM", asking for the domain name to be transferred to them, and the
registration agreement for EXAMPLE.COM requires them to consent to a
jurisdiction of a court, it would be absurd if they they were able to institute
the complaint in the first place, knowing that they would later on not be
willing to agree to the standard registration
 agreement of a registrant).

To reiterate, someone could file a case against WIPO or the UN in a Florida
court *today*, and those organizations have *already* consented to that
jurisdiction. Suppose there was a copyright infringement or other "abuse" on a
website operated by the UN or WIPO or some other IGOs/INGOs? Is it their
position that they'd have absolute immunity themselves from *others* trying to
eliminate their own abusive behaviour? That's absurd. Granting anyone immunity
from laws creates unaccountable actors, which is dangerous. The scope of that
protection should be limited to the maximum extent possible.

UDRP and URS were designed as streamlined procedures, and are not
*replacements* for the courts, which have much stronger due process mechanisms
for all sides, including the ability to cross-examine witnesses, and have
"discovery of documents." There are also appeals mechanisms, going as far as
the supreme courts in the relevant countries. These help to ensure that the
correct decisions are ultimately arrived at. It would be dangerous to replace
these strong mechanisms with weaker ones, as they would dilute the protections
afforded to domain name registrants.

Furthermore, while IGOs and INGOs claim "immunity", this does not mean that the
*domain names* and registrars/registries themselves have such immunity. In
other words, an order regarding control of EXAMPLE.com is an order against
*VeriSign* (i.e. the registry operator) to transfer the domain name to a
registrant. The courts *certainly* have jurisdiction against VeriSign in
relevant jurisdictions, or to registrars in their relevant jurisdictions. The
participation of the IGOs/INGOs is *optional*, since the court case can be made
against the registrar and/or registry alone, and the registry/registrar do not
have any immunity.

Lastly, as we've pointed out repeatedly, the actual statistical extent of abuse
of IGOs/INGOs marks is very small, see for example the discussion at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-igo-ingo-final-20sep13/msg00017.html

where I documented the number of UDRPs the IOC and Red Cross have *already*
initiated (and they had no problems initiating those under existing rules). If
there was a serious issue, I'm sure those IGOs and INGOs have friends in
national governments or elsewhere who could initiate court cases. To give an
example, the IOC, via the Canadian Olympic Committee, filed a trademark case in
the courts of British Columbia against North Face:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/marketing/canadian-olympic-committee-files-trademark-lawsuit-against-north-face/article16711509/

No special laws were required -- the situation was handled under *existing* law.

In conclusion, we strongly oppose the creation of any special rules for IGOs
and NGOs. They should be able to assert their rights in the exact same way that
they can today under *existing laws* if someone opened a restaurant in Toronto
or New York with a sign of "WIPO" or "UNESCO." ICANN should not be in the
business of creating *new* law for these organizations, or for other
organizations for that matter, that would deprive domain name registrants of
their own rights under existing law. ICANN has bigger fish to fry, and should
not be devoting precious and limited resources to this micro-issue which only
affects a miniscule portion of the internet community, and where dangerous
precedents could be created that would undermine the safeguards that exist for
all domain name registrants.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>