ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS anonymity

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS anonymity
  • From: Jens Alfke <jens@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:05:57 -0700

I strongly oppose changes that would limit the privacy of domain owners. I’m an
everyday geek who owns three or four domains, being used for mail service and
blogs mostly, and I definitely don’t want spammers and marketers and anyone
with a grudge against me to be able to look up my name and home address by
going through WHOIS. I currently use Dreamhost’s service that registers the
domains by proxy, preserving my privacy.

If the RIAA and MPAA are so desperate to find out who owns torrent sites, they
can get a court order and take that to the proxy registrar. They don’t need to
take away our privacy to do this.

—Jens Alfke