ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Whois registration data

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Whois registration data
  • From: chandler thomas <chanthomas3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:28:26 -0500

I urge you not to pass this. This is a complete overreach of privacy- one
which will harm innocent people for the sole purpose of increasing profits
of copyright law suits. Doing this will greatly risk those who would stand
up against government tyranny- after all, many websites are hosted to give
citizens a voice against oppressive regimes. The potential to be abuse such
a system far outweighs the potential benefits to copy right owners.
Shelving that, however, it will put any user who chooses to host a website
at great risk- the internet can be a dark, harsh place, and those who wish
to do others harm need no assistance, but that is exactly what can, and
likely will, occur if this passes. No longer will you need to pay for
highly specialized tools to attack the creators of sites dedicated to
helping others, sites for civil or equal rights- and we need look no
further than the recent gamergate scandal to see how easily and readily
people will attack others for insignificant reasons, and giving easy,
unwarranted access to private information is only going to increase that
risk. The content industry would have you believe that this protects their
rights, and thus protects and expands innovation, but this has far greater
potential to destroy innovation, as more and more people will need to
seriously consider what happens if their innovation isn't well received.
Places like Patricia's or Christie's toybox are highly controversial. As
are places for "furries" and places which sell things like the "anime girl
body pillow" and I'm not defending or attacking any of these places, but
there are people who will (furrycon was attacked by a man using chlorine
bombs recently) privacy through obfuscation. Security through obfuscation.
If they are infrenging the law,there are already methods in place to fix
that. Making it easier to get their personal information will not make it
any eaeasier- they claim that other countries won't work with them, so they
need this, but when they have this, those countries still won't work with
them. I beg you, think very long about the ramifications of your decision-
consider the severity with which this can (and will, I'm quite certain) be
abused. Thank you for reading this, and I sincerely hope you see just how
bad this is.