ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

[no subject]

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject:
  • From: Kriss <zaintoum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 03:20:07 +0100

ear ICANN,

I am writing to you concerning the proposed rules that govern companies who
provide WHOIS domain privacy services. Having read this issue over, there is
more to be gained by domain privacy being available than by such information
having to be published.

Many people use domains, from big corporations, but also small businesses.
While a large business having RL info obvious would make sense, it seems
silly or maybe even dangerous to force a small business owner to risk
information about their private residence being available publically.

If you publish such information by default, you would enable easier stalking
(I'm thinking partly of gamergate, doxxing, and so on, google this if it's
unfamiliar; it's a bad idea to publish that), much greater availability or
access to RL info for spammers (which wouldn't be negated by knowing who owns
the domains spam comes from), among many other things that could be done with
this.

If anything, information should be private by default, although accessible
through a court order wherever necessary. I urge you to respect people's
rights to privacy in the decisions you make on this matter.

Thank you.