ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

RE: WHOIS Privacy Settings

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: WHOIS Privacy Settings
  • From: "M. Sterling" <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 00:16:32 -0600

Dear ICANN –

This email is being sent in regards to the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document).

I work as a freelance writer and self-published erotica author. Due to the nature of my erotica work, my privacy is extremely important, as I keep my pen name separate from my professional writing work. The proposed privacy changes will expose me (and many others) to possible harm and will certainly compromise my livelihood.

In addition to fears regarding personal security, the proposed changes will only make it easier for spammers and telemarketers to gain access to contact information. They will have literally millions of phone numbers and emails at their fingertips, leading to more people falsifying their WHOIS information.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.

- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private.

Thank you.

-M.