ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

My comment about your WHOIS anonymity proposal

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: My comment about your WHOIS anonymity proposal
  • From: Armin Stebich <codeproject@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 09:37:54 +0200

Dear Sirs,

I fully agree with your proposal.

I can imagine, that you get more comments about protecting WHOIS anonymity to keep these information private. But the web isn't a private place so if I want to protect my privacy, I keep off and don't register for a domain. When I host a website with honest minds, I see no reason to hide my personality. Showing the public who I am is a confidence-building measure in my eyes. The argument to hide information from SPAM collector bots doesn't count, most WHOIS servers are protected with captchas these days.

Private sites mostly offers more private information than the owners WHOIS record. When I run across WHOIS proxies, I was investigating phishing or SPAM issues or trying to get information about other shady sites.

I assume, that the crowd advocating for anonymity in WHOIS records, will find other ways when your proposal gets implemented. Letterbox companies will pop up to take over the WHOIS proxy role.

Anyhow, I believe in your proposal and again advocate for it!

Regards

Armin Stebich