ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Keep Domain Registrations Private!

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Keep Domain Registrations Private!
  • From: Duminda Jayasena <dumindaxsb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:52:09 +0530

Hi,

I just found out about this WHOIS data going public and I think it's a
terrible mistake.

   - Yes, this might make it easy to catch bad guys, but it also giving
   power to bad guys to catch the good guys and that's terrible.
   - To catch bad guys, ask domain registration companies to provide those
   data and keep it private at your end and release it based on court orders.
   That will actually solve everything related to this matter.
   - Evilness of this is far greater than it's little goodness.
   - *Just to give an example from my side: Sri lanka, a developing country
   with a troubling political background + recent civil war. Internet &
   activists playing a major role in transforming my country to a better one.
   This struggle has already cost so many lives of good activists/journalists.
   Sri Lanka is one of top worst countries for journalists. Imagine how many
   people will get killed or abducted when you release WHOIS data to public.*

*Pls don't do it.*