ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Against: WHOIS changes reversing "anonymity"

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Against: WHOIS changes reversing "anonymity"
  • From: Justin <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 07:02:36 -0500

ICANN,

I am writing to comment on the current proposal, which in summary, would
revoke the usage of a proxy registrant so an actual domain owner could
remain anonymous.

I am against these changes because I feel the right to anonymity is
important in a world where others are sometimes punished for the use of
free speech. Anonymity is also important in a world where doxxing,
swatting, and other nefarious forms of harassment occur on a daily
basis. Changing the rules to the WHOIS registrants will due little to
stop piracy or other illegal uses of the web because records can still
be falsified. It will increase the incentive to lie to remain anonymous
while punishing those who wish to remain "above board", honest yet
maintain privacy.

I hope you reconsider implementation of this proposal and the ripple
affects it will cause across the internet.

Regards,

Justin

--

Owner - Trackbikez.com