ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS privacy rules comment

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS privacy rules comment
  • From: Gordon Dexter <kmputerguy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:06:09 -0400

I am very concerned about your proposed rules regarding private WHOIS
data.  My wife runs a popular web forum, and since she sometimes has to
enforce rules and make enemies, forcing her to put her home address for all
to see would open her up to doxxing and even possibly physical harm.
Additionally, I know of many women who get regular threats of violence or
rape for speaking out on feminist topics online (look up 'gamergate' for
instance).  Forcing somebody to reveal a physical address to the entire
world just to register a domain name will have a chilling effect on online
speech.

--Gordon