ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

I urge you not to make this proposal policy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I urge you not to make this proposal policy
  • From: Judith Murray <petitionsforprivacy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:01:59 -0400

Dear ICANN:

I am very concerned about the privacy and proxy policy proposal. As an
owner of several websites, I'm continually surprised at the level of
maliciousness even the most harmless sites receive - my own sites have
undergone DDOS attacks and hacking attempts. If this proposal is made
policy, my personal information would be accessible to the people behind
this behavior. My address, my telephone number. This is dangerous in a few
ways:

1. Personal safety: Unfortunately, it does not take much to attract the ire
of some people online, and I would not want those people to be able to
harass me or my family because they don't like what I've published online.
Or just for the lulz. This is especially dangerous for activists or
political dissidents across the world, whose lives could truly be in danger
should their identities become known.

2. Protecting my identity: There's a reason most people don't publish this
kind of contact information other places online: Identity theft has never
been more of a concern, and it's reasonable want as little of that
information as possible available to identity thieves.

3. Website safety: Publishing my personal information gives hackers
valuable information they can use to attempt to social engineer their ways
into or otherwise access my hosting or domain account.

I understand this proposal is being pushed by a coalition of organizations
concerned about protecting their copyrights and trademarks. I understand
their motivation, but this is the wrong way to solve the problem. As it
stands, there are already legal channels for these organizations to request
the registration information of domain owners. Offering up millions of
individuals' personal information to the entire internet is unsafe and an
overwrought reaction to this problem.

I urge you to not allow this proposal to become policy. It may make it
easier for big corporations to find copyright infringers, but it has a
very, very personal and dangerous impact on the lives of millions of other
people. Thank you for your consideration to my comment.

Best regards,
J.M.