ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Regarding Privacy for Domain Owners

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Regarding Privacy for Domain Owners
  • From: Anthony Flannery <comingsoon222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 21:31:37 +0000

To whom it may concern,   I am writing in regards to the recent proposal that I
read about, which as I understand it would make it necessary for all domain
name owners to have their personal information revealed in the Who-Is
directory. If this is true, then this proposal should not be allowed to take
place. Doing so would be to put the lives of domain name owners all over the
country at great risk for all kinds of potential problems.
    From identity theft to harassment, to potential physical attacks that could
take place upon those who may have controversial views, this proposal could put
people's very lives in danger. This information is already available from a
legal standpoint if requested under a court order for purposes of litigation.
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that literally anyone in the world
should be able to randomly find the name, address, phone number, and email
address for anyone who owns a website.
     I cannot even believe that this is a legitimate proposal that is being
considered. Please do the right thing and refuse to take away the protection
that everyone who has a domain name deserves to be able to have. Everyone
should have a right to remain anonymous to the masses when they own a website
if they so choose. It is no different than those who choose to have their phone
number and address unlisted in the phone book.
Sincerely,
Anthony Flannery