ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Comments for proposed WHOIS privacy services changes

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments for proposed WHOIS privacy services changes
  • From: Jennifer Francis <francjl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 02:47:27 +0000 (UTC)

I am an individual who owns a handful of domains and utilitizes WHOIS privacy
services for them. It is rather unnerving that the proposed changes would be
made. I don't want my home address and cell phone number to be visible to
parties who I don't give that information to myself. The world is a big place,
and the internet makes information very accessible. My personal safety, and
that of my family, is something that I value above all else. Domain owners have
no choice but to have accurate contact information on file with their providers
and I don't want to have to maintain a PO Box and alternate phone line just to
protect myself from spam and harassment.

I understand the concern about illegal internet activity and trying to find
ways to manage concerns around that. Anyone participating in truly dangerous
activity is not going to be giving useful information to WHOIS privacy services
or anyone else - it's all average people who would be impacted by this change,
and it would not serve any of us well. Please reconsider and continue to
support the current system of protections offered by WHOIS privacy services.