ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

May 5th Proposal regarding WHOIS privacy

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: May 5th Proposal regarding WHOIS privacy
  • From: Dana Sch <dana_sch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 21:45:57 -0700

The proposal to require the exposure of WHOIS data for all commercial sites is
downright dangerous.
I'm a female writer who has two commercial domains associated with my
pseudonym. I use a proxy service to protect my WHOIS data. I am very careful
about protecting my legal name and my privacy. I've had to deal with a stalker
in the past, and I do NOT want to risk having my legal name and address exposed
to all and sundry. I receive enough creepy, disturbing, and unwanted attention
from strange men on the Internet as it is. If they could easily find my legal
name, I'd be terrified.
There is no reason to change the existing system. If anyone has a legitimate
reason to know that information, they can file a legal order to get it.
Otherwise, they have no right to it. This is an enormous safety issue for every
female owner of a website. It doesn't take much to set off some disturbed
individuals, and the idea that one of them could show up on my front doorstep
is horrifying.
This proposal would also curb and curtail the right of many people, especially
women, to free speech. Imagine what could happen to someone who owned a web
site that advocated for pro-choice positions or gun control or any other
controversial topic? This isn't a theoretical risk. People can and will be
killed for what they say. Everyone has the right to protect their privacy, most
especially those people who are already taking a risk by speaking out in
support of unpopular or controversial topics.

Dana Schmeller