ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Privacy changes – please reconsider!

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Privacy changes – please reconsider!
  • From: Matthew Lehner <matthew@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 14:33:28 -0700

Dear ICANN,

I'm writing to you with concern about the proposed rules governing
companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the
Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I am asking that you would please continue to respect internet users'
rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court
  order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private
  individual or law enforcement agency.

This is not a matter of having something to hide, rather, it's a matter
of privacy. Many people are interested in having websites that are
private to them and their interests, if these sites are legal, is not
for us to expose the ownership, as I am sure you can appreciate.

Removing privacy from domain ownership erodes one of the foundational
pieces that has made the internet into such a great place for people
from any group or background.

Thank you for your careful consideration of this matter! :)

Best regards, Matthew