ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Domain Privacy Ruling Comments

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Domain Privacy Ruling Comments
  • From: Nathan Parker <nparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 21:53:37 +0000

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

As a web design professional, my clients, whether personal or commercial,
depend on WHOISGUARD domain privacy protection to protect their domain's
personal information and ensure they are protected from scammers and spammers
utilizing their personal information for nefarious purposes.

Before we begun implementing WHOISGUARD across the board for all of my web
design clients, my clients were placed into a position of the possibility of
becoming victims of being scammed out of large sums of money, and my clients
were victims of excessive spamming and junk mail. Scammers would call my
clients masquerading as their "web hosting company" asking for "large sums of
money" to "monitor their web site(s)" and "ensure their site(s) remain online".
Had my clients have not utilized the sense in contacting me first to ensure
this was indeed legitimate (in which upon investigation, I informed them it was
not), my clients would have been scammed out of large sums of money due to the
fact that their WHOIS domain information was currently leaked out to the
public. My clients also continued to be bombarded with spam and junk mail
during the time they were without WHOISGUARD domain privacy protection enabled
on their domains, again soliciting my clients for large sums of money.

Since enabling WHOISGUARD domain privacy protection for my clients across the
board, my clients are no longer victim or subject to further scammers and
spammers infiltrating their lives. It has been the only way my clients have
been able to continue to peacefully operate a website presence without being
subject to such harassment.

ICANN would be making a devastating and detrimental mistake to the Internet by
denying WHOISGUARD domain privacy protection to any clients that request it. My
clients are perfectly fine with paying for the privilege and do not expect
WHOISGUARD domain privacy protection to be handed to them for free. However, to
deny WHOISGUARD domain privacy protection to any of my clients, personal or
commercial, is going to put their web operations in a detrimental position
concerning their breach of privacy, and ICANN is potentially "declaring war" on
these clients and their respected web designers.

If ICANN proceeds with denying any clients access to WHOISGUARD domain privacy
protection, I only see a few directions web hosting providers, web designers,
and or website owners can take concerning this matter:

1. When a website owner has been scammed or have had its personal information
violated in a way that would cause financial damage to the website owner, the
website owner will need to seek legal action against ICANN for the monetary
damages suffered to the website owner as a result of ICANN's denial of their
WHOISGUARD domain privacy protection.

2. Web hosting companies and/or web designers are going to have to begin
"falsifying" WHOIS information in the database as a means to protect website
owners' personal information. Doing so may be against ICANN's policies and/or
against the law, but it is a measure ICANN will force web hosting companies
and/or web designers into if it proceeds with this ruling.

3. Commercial companies who do not agree to ICANN's ruling can simply
decommission their websites and utilize other means of advertising, putting
commercial businesses in a position where it is no longer viable for them to
maintain the quality of a web presence they have now. Doing so would be
destructive to the operations of the web.

Why ICANN would consider such an ignoramus and devastating ruling that would
jeopardize the web is beyond the understanding of web designers such as myself.
It is a ruling that I hope will be shot down by ICANN so the privacy of website
owners can remain in effect.

Thank you for listening and for your time.

Prayerfully yours,

Nathan Parker

President/CEO
Mallard Computer, Inc.

Tomorrow's Technology. Today's Ministry.™

"Obey God and leave all the consequences to Him." -Charles Stanley

This message (including any attachments) is a confidential and privileged
communication of Mallard Computer, Inc., and intended only for the addressee.
Any unauthorized use, distribution, or copying of this message (or any
attachment) is prohibited. If you are not the addressee or a person authorized
to receive messages for the addressee, you have received this message in error.
In that case, please delete this message and call us at 501-762-2761 so that we
can correct our records in order to avoid this mistake in the future. Thank you.