ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

For safety and privacy, ICANN should protect private information, not expose it.

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: For safety and privacy, ICANN should protect private information, not expose it.
  • From: Lisa <lisel.lina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 02:57:44 +0000 (UTC)

Dear ICANN: Please don't force domain name owners into revealing ourpersonal
information.  I am very concernedthat our personal contact information may be
made available to anyone withinternet access.

If this proposal isenacted, ICANN will have endangered people who own
websites.  It is a threat to an individual’s safety andprivacy to have his/her
contact information released without consent.

Please continue to allow all domain owners touse privacy or proxy services to
keep our personal information private, protectphysical safety, and prevent
identity theft. Website owners deserve the right to stay anonymous.
I agree with and want to emphasize the following messagesin ICANN’s comment
forum:

 “I urge you to not allow this proposal to becomepolicy. It may make it easier
for big corporations to find copyrightinfringers, but it has a very, very
personal and dangerous impact on the livesof millions of other
people.”
(https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ppsai-initial-05may15/msg08554.html)  “I
 do not want my personal home address exposed justbecause I have a website.
It's not safe or
necessary.”(https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ppsai-initial-05may15/msg10912.html)  “People
 have the right to privacy without their livesand their families' lives put in
danger over what they wrote on their
sites!!”(https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ppsai-initial-05may15/msg11100.html)
“Do NOT release our personal, private information to thepublic!!!!!If a domain
holder is doing something illegal, then and onlythen should their information
be released and then ONLY to law enforcementagencies after the issuance of a
valid
warrant.”(https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ppsai-initial-05may15/msg10111.html)

“Please respect my right to privacy for the sake of thesafety of my family and
our home. Do you have children or a family? - Just think aboutit what's really
being proposed here and the consequences for millions of otherfamilies like
mine . ..”
(https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ppsai-initial-05may15/msg09139.html)  “If
 this proposal is made policy, my personalinformation would be accessible to
the people behind[malicious] behavior. My address, my telephone number. Thisis
dangerous in a few ways: 1. Personal safety: Unfortunately, it does not take
much toattract the ireof some people online, and I would not want those people
tobe able toharass me or my family because they don't like what I'vepublished
online.. . . This is especially dangerous for activists orpolitical dissidents
across the world, whose lives couldtruly be in dangershould their identities
become known. 2. Protecting my identity: There's a reason most peopledon't
publish thiskind of contact information other places online: Identitytheft has
neverbeen more of a concern, and it's reasonable want as littleof
thatinformation as possible available to identity thieves. 3. Website safety:
Publishing my personal information giveshackersvaluable information they can
use to . . .  access my hosting or domain account. I understand this proposal
is being pushed by a coalition oforganizationsconcerned about protecting their
copyrights and trademarks.I understandtheir motivation, but this is the wrong
way to solve theproblem. As itstands, there are already legal channels for
theseorganizations to requestthe registration information of domain owners.
Offering upmillions ofindividuals' personal information to the entire internet
isunsafe and anoverwrought reaction to this problem. I urge you to not allow
this proposal to become policy. Itmay make iteasier for big corporations to
find copyright infringers,but it has avery, very personal and dangerous impact
on the lives ofmillions of otherpeople. Thank you for your consideration to my
comment.(https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ppsai-initial-05may15/msg08554.html)
                “Your proposed changes to the privacy protections of
domainnameregistration are extremely worrisome for anyone with aname-based
domainname. I am an author... As a single female with a minorpublic presence, I
am vulnerable to harassment ... If you publish my home address,email, and phone
number because my domain name is used for‘commercialactivity,’ you've just
given trolls, spammers, identitythieves, and socialengineers a free candy store
. . .
 Your proposed changes mean that to have a website ANDprotect myself, I'llhave
to rent a mailbox and get another phone line. I'm luckythose optionsare
available -- not everyone has them. May I bill you forthe extra $150per month
this will cost? The reasoning behind the proposed change seems to be for
thepurpose ofreducing piracy and making it easier to identifylawbreakers. So a
fewthousand miscreants get tracked, while tens of millions ofdomain ownersgive
up their privacy rights to make that happen. The endsDON'T justifythe means in
this case . . .
 It is a bad policy, and should not be implemented. ICANNshouldautomatically
protect private information, not expose
it.”(https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ppsai-initial-05may15/msg11132.html)
I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy anddue process. -
Everyone deserves the right to privacy.- No one’s personal information should
be revealed without acourt order, regardless of whether the request comes from
a private individualor law enforcement agency.  Private information should be
kept private. Thank you.