ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Please keep the right to register domains without exposing WHOIS information

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please keep the right to register domains without exposing WHOIS information
  • From: Filip Wieland <filiplamparski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 07:29:35 +0000

Dear ICANN,

I would like to ask you to not enact the proposal. In my view, it would
hurt free speech, which is perhaps one of the few freedoms that the
Internet was built upon.

The ability to register domains by proxy, which helps keep the registrant's
personal contact details private, is essential to free speech online.
Domains registered to host criticisms and commentary should not be forced
to reveal who registered them. There are too many censorious agents, from
both private and public sector, who'd gladly subpoena registrants of
domains and sites they don't like, even if the content is non infringing
and protected by a free speech provision.

Regards,
Filip Wieland