ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Comment - GNSO Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Working Group Initial Report

  • To: "'comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx'" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment - GNSO Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Working Group Initial Report
  • From: "Ramachandran, Chaitanya" <chaitanya.ramachandran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 11:29:58 +0000

[On Behalf of Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas – Advocates and Solicitors, India]

observations. We limit the scope of our observations to the issue of the
desirability of easy availability of Privacy/Proxy (“P/P”) services for
legitimate purposes to the general public, which may be threatened by the
enhanced user data disclosure requirements contemplated in the PPSAI-WG’s
preliminary report.

1)      In general, privacy of sensitive personal data is desirable for domain
owners (or “registrants”). This is because of the high risk of
publicly-available data on the WHOIS database being mined and used for adverse
or illegal purposes. P/P services are a valuable tool that domain registrants
can use to safeguard their sensitive personal data from such activities.
Therefore, the PPSAI-WG must adopt the overarching principle that privacy is
desirable for domain registrants, and that mandatory disclosure of a
registrant’s personal information must always be a narrowly-circumscribed
exception to the general rule in favour of privacy.

2)      Where a draft Disclosure Framework is contemplated, it is crucial to
strictly limit the potential sources of demands for disclosure, in order to
safeguard the general principle in favour of domain privacy through P/P
services. A hierarchy of priority between different sources of demands for
disclosure may also be established. For example, disclosure demands from law
enforcement agencies (LEAs) investigating criminal activities such as terrorism
or threats to cybersecurity should be permitted, subject to the establishment
of due procedures and adequate safeguards for registrants. Then, disclosure
demands from IP owners may also be permitted, subject to stricter procedures
and safeguards. Finally, disclosure demands from other third parties may be
permitted (if at all) only in strictly limited circumstances, and subject to
the strictest set of procedures and safeguards.

3)      Disclosure demands for a registrant’s data must be dealt with in
compliance with the local privacy law in the applicable registry’s home
jurisdiction. For example, if data is being sought with respect to a domain
registered under “.in”, the country code Top Level Domain (ccTLD) for India,
then such a request must be dealt with in full compliance with applicable
Indian privacy law. A “one size fits all” approach should be avoided.

4)      We recommend that registrars be mandated to publish statistics about
the number of disclosure requests they receive, and also the number of such
requests they comply with.

5)      Finally, we believe that a registrant’s ability to use P/P services
should be completely independent of the nature of use of the domain in question
(i.e. whether it is commercial or non-commercial). This is because the
desirability of privacy is an overarching principle that should apply equally
to all domain registrants. The mere fact that a domain is being used for
commercial purposes does not justify forcing the registrant to assume all risks
associated with its sensitive personal data or information being publicly
available through WHOIS.

We thank the GNSO for this opportunity to air our views on the crucial issue of
domain privacy, and hope that our comments are considered and adopted by the
PPSAI-WG.

On Behalf of Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas – Advocates and Solicitors, India,

Chaitanya Ramachandran

[http://www.amsshardul.com/logo.jpg]
Chaitanya Ramachandran
Associate
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co
Advocates & Solicitors
Amarchand Towers, 216 Okhla Industrial Estate, Phase III, New Delhi - 110 020,
India
T        +91 11 41590700, 40606060  ext. 4593 F: +91 11 2692 4900
M        +918800491499
chaitanya.ramachandran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:chaitanya.ramachandran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Privileged and Confidential email from Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co.

The information contained in this communication (including any attachment(s)
hereto) (collectively, “Communication”) is confidential, may be attorney-client
privileged, may constitute inside information, and is intended only for the use
of the addressee.  It is the property of Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co.
(“SAM & Co.”) and the intended recipient.  Unauthorized use, disclosure or
copying of this Communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and
may be unlawful.  If you have received this Communication in error, please
notify us immediately by return e-mail, and destroy this Communication and all
copies thereof. Further, any tax advice contained in this Communication is not
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the
purpose of (1) avoiding tax-related penalties, or (2) promoting, marketing or
recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.  SAM &
Co. is not liable for the improper transmission of this Communication or for
any damages sustained as a result of this Communication.

Please contact our IT Department on  +91 11 41590700, 40606060 or e-mail
IT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:IT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> for further assistance