ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS privacy
  • From: Benjamin Baral <benjaminbaral16@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 10:25:56 -0700

Hello,
I understand that the ICANN is considering disallowing proxy registration
services for commercial websites. I am writing to strongly encourage the
ICANN to not go through with this proposal as I believe it is more
detrimental than helpful to most small website hosters.

I am a very small time web hoster (I just run a personal site and a small
game server) and I strongly value my privacy. While, at the moment, this
proposal wouldn't directly affect me as I don't count as a commercial
website hoster, if I were to add ads to my website, or promote a book that
I write, or something like that, then I would classify as one. I would not
want my address or phone number to be publicly known and associated with my
website. Email's good enough for contacting me.

I currently have 3 domains, all of which have some sort of WHOIS proxy
preventing people from looking up my address and phone number (and
technically, my name isn't associated with my website publicly either), and
I really wish for it to stay this way.

Thank you for considering my opinion.