ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Fwd: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Fwd: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 14:22:17 -0700

Dear ICANN,

As an owner of various domains, I occasionally use whoisguard privacy
controls to make sure that I am not subject to threats targeted at
myself and my family as a result of controversial domain name
registrations. Most of my domains are harmless, but on several
occasions I have become aware of some angry individuals who seek to
identify the owner of domains which I own. These angry situations tend
to dissolve after some time, but given how unpredictable humans can
be, I protect myself with whoisguard privacy until I am certain that I
will not be the target of said anger either through harassing
communication or physical confrontation.

Likewise, there are many corporations out there that seek to destroy
individuals who are critical of them through domain registration and
internet expression. These corporations often use dirty tactics to
discover the identity of their critics, and I would not want to be the
subject of such targeted discovery and harassment.

Please reconsider your privacy-eroding ruling and make the internet a
safer place for individuals like myself who are legally within their
right to obtain and use a domain name for lawful purposes and retain
their privacy and security as a result.

Thank you for your consideration.