ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-proposed-measures-two-char-08jul16]

New Zealand Government comment on proposed measures for Letter/Letter Two-Character ASCII Labels to Avoid Confusion with Corresponding Country Codes [UNCLASSIFIED]

  • To: "comments-proposed-measures-two-char-08jul16@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-proposed-measures-two-char-08jul16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: New Zealand Government comment on proposed measures for Letter/Letter Two-Character ASCII Labels to Avoid Confusion with Corresponding Country Codes [UNCLASSIFIED]
  • From: Nicola Treloar <Nicola.Treloar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 22:58:41 +0000

To whom it may concern,

The following comment is in response to the consultation regarding the proposed
measures for avoiding confusion in the release of two-letter second-level
domains in gTLDs.

The two-letter country code for New Zealand is "nz" which is also the commonly
used abbreviation for New Zealand. While the New Zealand Government does not
wish to prohibit uses of the "nz" at the second level in principle, we are
concerned that in some instances the use of "nz" at the second level may cause
confusion for consumers.

To date, the New Zealand Government has engaged in the RSEP process to raise
concerns about potential confusion with its country code, and has only raised
concerns with three domains.

We are concerned that the proposed measures to avoid confusion are not
satisfactory. They focus on requiring governments and ccTLD managers to
register the country code themselves to manage this risk. We do not consider
that requiring Registry Operators to implement a 30-day period when domains are
exclusively available  is the most appropriate mechanism for resolving the
issue. Governments should not have to purchase potentially expensive second
level domains themselves in order to avoid confusion.

ICANN and/or registry operators can facilitate the use of the country code in
ways that minimise consumer confusion. For example, the GAC Helsinki
Communiqué's suggests that Registry Operators engage with GAC members when a
risk is identified. We consider that a constructive and good-faith relationship
between the Registry Operator and the GAC member is the most appropriate way of
resolving any concerns, and that ICANN should not put in place a process which
bypasses that relationship.

We would also note concerns raised by the .nz country-code manager that this
policy has been developed without consultation with the ccNSO despite ccTLD
managers being a key part of this proposal. Their views are reflected in a
separate submission.

The New Zealand Government supports a mechanism which will facilitate the use
of two-letter second-level domains in gTLDs, including country codes. However,
in light of the above concerns we do not support the proposed measures.

Nicola Treloar
ICANN Governmental Advisory Committee Representative for New Zealand
Communications Policy | Building, Resource, and Markets Group | Ministry of
Business, Innovation & Employment | NEW ZEALAND

www.govt.nz - your guide to finding and using New Zealand government services

Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of the
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. This message and any files
transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivery to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this message in error and that any use is
strictly prohibited. Please contact the sender and delete the message and any
attachment from your computer.