ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-tel-renewal-04aug16]

Tel Renewal

  • To: "comments-tel-renewal-04aug16@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-tel-renewal-04aug16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Tel Renewal
  • From: George Warrens <georgewarrens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 17:41:04 +0000 (UTC)

I had owned quite a few Tels and developed some 'sites'. I have since dropped
all of them.
I think that the problem is that the TEL visionaries are holding on to an idea
that is no longer viable.
The original idea of data in the DNS was good. However storage is so cheap now
and access speeds are so phenomenal that whether data is stored in the DNS or
on another server somewhere else makes no difference to the average user.
Am I missing something more technical?
Maintaining the restrictions on TEL at this time, i.e not allowing the
development of full sites, is almost guaranteeing its demise.
This fact should be obvious to Telnic.
The Templates may be useful for certain applications.
I suggest that ICANN impress upon Telnic to do three things: 1. Remove
restrictions: 2. Improve the Template offerings. 3. Let registrants choose
between a template driven site at a higher price and a My-own-site registration
at a more reasonable price.
This would allow TEL to survive and be a fair and reasonable marketplace
offering.
Otherwise I would question whether this offering is in the interest of the
public.
George W.