ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-two-char-new-gtld-12jun14]

.EN should be prohibited

  • To: "comments-two-char-new-gtld-12jun14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-two-char-new-gtld-12jun14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .EN should be prohibited
  • From: Robert Delaware <rfdelaware@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:28:18 -0700

I've already stated my opinion - I believe that all of the newly proposed
two-character domain names should be restricted.

But while i've ranting and raving, I forgot to mention another thing...

EN is already totally ubiquitous in URLs all over the internet. It signifies
that you're visiting a page in the english language.  I would imagine that a
.EN two-character domain name would be totally ripe for abuse.

I don't think that we should fool ourselves.  Many, many people aren't familiar
with URLs, and something like an Amazon.en or a Target.en could easily fool
people.

There's little to no reason why this domain should be offered or why it's
needed.

-Robby Delaware