ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

Re:

  • To: draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re:
  • From: Jean-Michel Hannoun <hannoun@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:55:22 +0000

On 11 Jan 2010, at 14:43, Jean-Michel Hannoun wrote:

Dear ICANN Board Members

As you weigh the pros and cons of the the staff EOI recommendation, I would like to remind you why you are doing this in the first place. The over-arching reason, as far as I can see, is to protect the public interest.

So what is this public interest?

Well let's start with what it is not.

It is not, to begin with a situation where one company, Verisign, controls 50% of the world domain names - about 80% of all english language names - and routinely increases prices by 7% a year, even in the worst recession since the great depression.

It is not a world where non-english countries are given at most two meaningful domain names to choose from, a 2 letter country code, and soon (for some countries) the IDN country name.

It is not a process which is dominated by a few dozen brand lawyers, and the entrenched interests of registries and domain speculators who stand to lose if the status quo changes.

No. What is in the public interest should be very clear to everyone. It's increased choice in the domain name space.

As an outsider to this process, I hear issues such as 2 character IDN's and Vertical Separation as obstacles moving forward. Forgive me, but these strike me as insider technicalities. For ICANN to hold this process up even 1 week for either of these issues is preposterous at this point.

The EOI proposal makes sense. TLDs make sense.

ICANN - get to work.

Regards

Jean-Michel Hannoun