ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

Comments on the Expressions of Interest process

  • To: draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on the Expressions of Interest process
  • From: Avri Doria LTU <avri@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:38:08 -0500

Dear ICANN,

I would like to state my comments for the current Expressions of Interest
("EOI") process, and appreciate the opportunity to make my views heard.

OVERALL SUPPORT OR NON-SUPPORT FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
I am opposed to Expressions of Interest. It grants preferential treatment for
insiders.

Other issues covered below.

One thing I have noticed, the more I think about the idea, the worse I think
the idea is.  Thank you for giving me this chance to work out some of my ideas.

SUBMISSION FEE
There is discussion about the $55,000 (USD) submission fee.   I support a lower
fee because it's fairer.     Lower fee = 0.

The only possible valid reason I can see for an EoI is to give ICANN some idea
of the scope of possible applications.  There is no reason people should have
to pay for ICANN's ever delayed process.

MANDATORY NATURE OF EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
There is also a question about whether Expressions of Interest should be
mandatory for those applying for a new TLD.  New TLD applicants should not have
to submit an EOI.     We do not know the full conditions of the application
given the unresolved 'overarching' issues.  That means that some people may
still be trying to decide whether they want to apply or not.

This is a marketing gimmick for the insiders.

REFUNDS
The current EOI model will provide refunds of the submission fee only in
extraordinary circumstances, or unless ICANN is unable to accept new TLD
applications by a particular date.  Refunds should be granted on demand     If
conditions change from DAGv3 to DAGvX such  that, .e.g. it makes someone's
application less feasible from a business perspective or the conditions change
to make the TLD open to objection when it was not open to objection
previously, then letting ICANN pocket the money, is unjust.

COMMUNICATION PERIOD
ICANN's draft EOI model contemplates a four-month communication period prior to
accepting EOI submissions. Four months is about right for the communications
plan.  Until such time as full outreach in all UN languages has been done, one
canot say that 'everyone knows'.  This is just a Rich Northern presumption.

Of course I do not believe in EoIs at all, but if they must happen because the
pressure is too great by some major players for the powers that be to say no,
then an entire communications plan should play out first - a plan that not only
explains the EoI plan and the new gTLD plan but which makes clear that there
are no guarantees that the conditions one sees today are the conditions they
will face when the real application process opens up.

PUBLICATION OF DATA
Finally, there is a question about whether data collected from EOIs should be
made public. ICANN should publish all strings and applicants.  Again, I do not
accept the necessity of EoIs and do not see it as being the right way to say
"yes to new gTLDS' as some of the propaganda argues.  But if people are going
to secure themselves a place in line to the exclusion of any newcomers, then
those late to the party should know whom to contact to buy into, acquire or
otherwise gain control of the new TLD application tokens.

And, incidentally, who will control the token, will it be transferable and by
whom with what conditions?  I know so that it "does not harm the
security or stability of the DNS", but what does that mean, and what
constraints will ICANN put on the transaction?

OTHER COMMENTS
I still believe it is prejudicial against potential applicants from
developments areas.

And generally a really bad idea.

Signed,
Avri Doria
LTU
avri@xxxxxx

[This comment comes via the ICANN comment form found at
http://www.mindsandmachines.com/2010/01/let-icann-know-your-position-on-expressions-of-interest.
  This form provides brief descriptions of the issues and allows easy comment
on the Expressions of Interest process.]