ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[draft-eoi-model]

On the primary internal goals, their benefits, if any, and the advice of the GAC

  • To: draft-eoi-model@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: On the primary internal goals, their benefits, if any, and the advice of the GAC
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:55:42 -0500

Kurt,

My initial notes concerned issues external to the proposed EOI model, the suggestion that traffic in "slots" has a security and stability consequence, the earliest date delegations could occur, and reconciliation with the zone file access model. A subsequent note addressed a single aspect of the proposed EOI model, the preference for compulsion, a method question, assuming the EOI serves an informational purpose.

In this note I address the central merit claims offered in support of an EOI.

Most of humanity now reside in urban areas. When network access is included, overwhelmingly, current and future registrants are residents of urban areas. This urban-favoring distribution is even more pronounced when business and institutions are considered.

As a matter of policy, ICANN can eschew contracting with the governments of urban areas and discard the metro/geo TLD model, or it can decide that their needs are substantially unmet and accept applications brought by municipal governments. The GAC has advised the names of cities and regions be protected from speculative acquisition, and be made available to the governments of those cities and regions.

The set of governments which have taken substantive steps towards an application is quite small, and the steps that municipal government make, which have a purely procedural cost, are more determinative of "intent" than any cash deposit intended to present agile speculators with some marginal cost on the resource they are likely to engage in speculation.

A similar general fact situation exists with cultural and linguistic institutions and the steps these have made.

To give examples I believe you already know, the Cities of Barcelona, Paris, New York, and the Scottish Government, the Welsh National Assembly, the Quebec Provincial Government, and others have taken substantive steps towards an application.

With this preliminary I hope I have made the central problem easily understood: what is the relationship between the EOI, under any of the proposed forms, and applicants which are fundamentally public government or public service?

Are we waiting to learn the names of cities, of autonomous regions, or cultural and linguistic groups? Will it come as a surprise us, the designers of the string evaluation module, that "Paris" exists? Is there any part of the problem which we, as designers of the evaluation process, need an EOI to be informed by?

The relationship between the EOI and speculators and domainers is plain. We, ICANN and those of us who have more access than some others[1] and think that RFC 1591's "duty to serve the community" language is still useful, need to know how many, how many by surprise, how many by auction, how many by ..., and what exploits, of trademarks holders, of unprepared communities (always keeping in mind that there are dozens of ccTLDs that are, in truth, captured for private profit), ...

Restated, the EOI model proposed is aware of the existence of speculators attempting to limit the competition from other speculators, and domainers attempting to acquire control of registries, and properly so.

Unfortunately, the same EOI model proposed is indifferent to the existence of governments as the applicants. True, governments and cultural and linguistic institutions can send letters of intent and checks to Marina del Rey, but what information of significance is actually obtained?

Turning to the advice of the GAC, published today, it is prudent to defer what was problematic at best, and address the problem the EOI purports to solve, without the distraction of "solutions" and their advocates looking to solve just their problems, which are not the same as ICANN's problems.

Further, it is prudent to distinguish between public applicants which propose to create obviously overdue structure and richness, and private applicants which propose to create short-term exploits, and replicate the abuses of many of the COM/NET/ORG registrars in the IANA root.

It is imprudent to maintain any longer the claim that all applicants are alike, indistinguishable, and better deferred indefinitely, than allowed to commence registry operations.

Finally, there is the matter of the public communications period. Unfortunately, that water is now muddied, with what was a stable, if retreating scheduled date abandoned now to two unsupported belief systems, "soon" and "never".

In developing Step by Step, a proposal we presented to the Board in Sydney, to exercise the portion of the evaluation process for which we are collectively certain of, and incrementally start serving applications for which no objections exist, we did not consider the public communications period problem.

Here I wish to make an observation. Accepting the application for Paris, or Scotland will be "the shot heard round the world". There will be no problem informing governments, linguistic and cultural institutions, non-governmental organizations, internet users, and private, for-profit operators, that ICANN has a functioning new gTLD program. The model of delta-the-DAG-to-completion, then hold a three month paid media blitz, followed by a crashing crescendo of applications and their fees, evaluation staff hires, and a lot of blood in the water, may not be as safe, or as certain, as simply accepting the applications known to be safe.

I suggest that starting with Paris and proceeding methodically through the applications believed to be meritorious in their own right, from Scotland to Africa, and which are inherently safe with regard to the Four Over Arching Issues, and not dependent upon the changes proposed by the CRAI report's authors, ending the separation between registries and registrars or allowing single-registrant applications of arbitrary type, is the best course of action available to ICANN.

It will allow ICANN to move forward, a critical concern which may be under-appreciated by Staff, and Board, and simultaneously allow ICANN to hold an EOI which answers important unanswered questions: how many private for-profit actors? what business models and what associated challenges? what affect upon the Four Over Arching Issues? what dependencies on changing the separation between registries and registrars, or allowing single-registrant applications of arbitrary type?

This would:
o remove any unfair first mover advantage of some ICANN participants[1] who will pre-empt the most valuable strings before the rest of the world is fully aware of the gTLD program;
        o prevent a speculative market for "EoI application slots"; and
o equitably treat developing country applicants, and small non-profit TLD projects that none-the-less operate in the public interest.

While not all of CORE's partners in registry application are governments, or cultural or linguistic institutions, these are our core business (to make a small, non-governmental pun), and as a CORE employee I must point out the obvious material self-interest in this note.

Eric Brunner-Williams

[1] The Affirmation of Commitments states: “ICANN and the Department of Commerce recognize that there is a group of participants that engage in ICANN's processes to a greater extent than Internet users generally. To ensure that its decisions are in the public interest, and not just the interests of a particular set of stakeholders, ICANN commits to perform and publish analyses of the positive and negative effects of its decisions on the public, including any financial impact on the public, and the positive or negative impact (if any) on the systemic security, stability and resiliency of the DNS.”