ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[drawing-prioritization]

Comments from the Smart Internet Foundation (.ДЕТИ)

  • To: <drawing-prioritization@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments from the Smart Internet Foundation (.ДЕТИ)
  • From: "Irina Danelia" <irina.danelia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 18:32:35 +0400

Dear ICANN,

The Foundation for Network Initiatives "The Smart Internet" (applicant for
.ДЕТИ) appreciates the ICANN's effort to secure a transparent and fair
mechanism for prioritizing the applications. We also support the move to
give priority to IDNs as we believe that it ensures the Internet's diversity
and help realize the public interest goal.

At the same time we want to draw your attention to the fact that many IDN
application came from countries that have their own peculiarities and
country-specific legislation. Therefore many of respective applicants are
likely to request that the standard Registry Agreement should be amended.
Negotiating tailored amendments seems to be a long process and is currently
set to begin in late March 2013. So, as the negotiations will ultimately put
progress with some IDN applications on hold until summer 2013 or even beyond
that timeline, which will derail the original good intent of IDN
Prioritization.

We therefore suggest the ICANN consider a possibility for starting the
negotiations on RA amendments earlier than scheduled, which would help IDNs
be the first in the queue.

Warm regards,

Irina Danelia

Deputy Director