ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[drawing-prioritization]

GeoTLDPriorization Comment

  • To: <drawing-prioritization@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: GeoTLDPriorization Comment
  • From: <sabine.moewes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 08:30:22 +0100

This is a comment of the City of Cologne. We are an applicant for the
"Geographical Name Top-Level Domain" (GeoTLDs) of .cologne and .koeln. We fully
adhere all comments which argue in favor of prioritization fo the GeoTLD
applications.

GeoTLDs are important to the respective local communities all over the world as
they serve and promote the public and the governmental interests. On a focussed
local basis, GeoTLDs, as .cologne or .koeln are in the interest of the relevant
national and global Internet community. This gains even more importance for
international cities as are Cologne or Berlin, whose City and geo applications
are widely distributed, ensuring fairness and global balance in applicant
processing.

The City of Cologne is concerned about the public interest not being
represented properly in the current drawing method. Prioritizing "IDN Top Level
Domains" (IDNs) is indeed aiming in the right direction to promote public
interest and to underline ICANN´s plan of a better global outreach,
nevertheless we want to underline that "Geographical Name Top-Level Domains"
(GeoTLDs) should be processed in a similar way.
ICANN, as the global guardian of the Domain Name System, has the responsibility
to ensure a fair balance between public and private interests. The City of
Cologne clearly operates in the public interest and ICANN should acknowledge
the support they received by the relevant local authority that was elected by
the public to serve them and act in their interest. Balancing private and
public interests, protecting the public interest is to be valued more highly
than private interests.  To our mind, the proposed drawing method could disrupt
the balance between public and private interests, as there is a great chance
that Geo applications, clearly acting in the public interest, may be entering
the root far behind applications that do not represent the public interest.
Additionally in terms of public interest, there is no sense in launching
.COLOGNE (English translation of the city gTLD .KOELN) and .KOELN month apart
from each other depending in the draw ticket number.
We are convinced that the GeoTLD applications fulfil the requirements set by
ICANN to give a priority to certain categories of TLDs: to promote DNS
diversity, make the Internet more accessible, increase avenues of participation
and serve the public interest. The prioritization of the GeoTLDs along with the
IDN gTLDs is supposed to better serve the global public interest ICANN
represents. The explicit support these applications have from their respective
Public Authorities, the entities entitled at the local level to serve and
promote the public interest, should be taken into consideration by ICANN in
order to promote an alignment between the local and global public interest
spheres.

Therefore we ask ICANN to support the global public interest and to add GeoTLDs
in its prioritization plan. The prioritization of the 56 GeoTLDs (7 of the 63
GeoTLD applications are IDNs and already prioritized) would defer the
allocation of other generic TLDs only for a short period of time. We think this
is reasonable to protect the global public interest.
With kind regards
Sabine Möwes

Stadt Köln
E-Government und Onlinedienste